Adopt with Confidence
Although every animal who passes through the CARE program has at one point experienced a major medical issue or needed surgery, you will be adopting a healthy pet. We continue to care for each individual until they receive a clean bill of health from one of our doctors, and if they will require ongoing/life-long management of a medical issue, we advertise that information with the pet. This insures that our cats and dogs go to a home who is prepared to provide them with the highest standard of care, as we have in the hospital. Our desire to match animals with the perfect home is the reason that we do not accept adoption applications for any pet until they are officially listed on this website as available for adoption; we simply do not know what (if any) further care they will need at home until that point and want to be sure that you know exactly what your future best friend will require.
Prior to Adoption Each Animal is…
- If a chronic medical condition is present, it is well controlled prior to adoption. Additionally, this condition will be discussed at length with each family who expresses interest in the animal.
- Spayed or neutered
- Up to date on vaccinations (though may require boosters)
- Up to date on heartworm, intestinal parasite, and flea prevention
- Some dogs may be undergoing heartworm treatment at the time that they are listed for adoption. This will be clearly stated and CARE will continue to financially provide for the cost of this treatment after adoption.
- FIV/FeLV negative (cats)
Benefits of Adopting Through CARE
In addition to the joy that providing a pet with a second (or third) chance at a wonderful life will bring, we also provide several unique benefits to our adopters:
- Training classes: The Puppy Ladies provide free puppy classes & 50% off adolescent manners classes for dogs adopted from CARE. These trainers also help our volunteers train our puppies while they are in the CARE program, however, our puppies/dogs are not fully trained at the time of adoption. The Puppy Ladies have graciously donated their classes to help make sure that you and your puppy/dog can become the team that conquers all – from potty training to civilized walks in the park, fun tricks, and appropriate manners. For more information on these trainers, please visit www.thepuppyladies.com
- Lost Pet Medical Insurance: We use the Save This Life brand of microchips, which ensures that the animal you adopt will always be able to find their way home should they ever escape. All pets registered with Save This Life are eligible to receive coverage for up to $1,000 in emergency care for accidents that may occur while they are lost with Lost Pet Medical Insurance. We will provide you with the information needed to register for this insurance at your adoption consultation.
- Trupanion Pet Insurance 30 Day Free Trial